Tuesday 9 November 2010

future

This is not the blog post I'm meant to be writing - but in the last week or so I've really started to think about the future, not the distant hover-skateboard future but next year. I haven't had a clear vision for myself or my business since starting 'Dear Colleen' it was more of a field of dreams philosophy, which to be fair isn't working out so badly but if I'm really going to turn this into something more then I have get my head round what I actually want.
One morning last week while looking at illustrator extraordinaire Rob Ryan's blog something just clicked and it became very clear than I want a studio, I used to collect pictures of desks but a desk isn't going to cut it anymore I want more space and space with room for screen printing facility. I'm also facing the very real and scary fact that i'm going to be working on 'Dear Colleen' full time before next year is through. I would say all the fear is met in equal part by incredible excitement but I'm definitely developing a knot in my tummy.
However I'll continue to take inspiration from Rob Ryan's amazing studio and shop shown above and Wellington furniture designer/maker Duncan Sargent who runs this workroom come shop (the red building also shown above), which I guess is more what I have in mind. I really do believe that knowing what you want is the hard bit, making it happen is just a case of one foot in front of other so I think it's nearly time for me to take the first step.

5 comments:

  1. go you! very exciting! with your talent and moxie, it's just a matter of time before you take over the world! (just don't forget us little guys when have all that cool power and wealth and awesome studioness)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep that's so true ^. you really do have that something special (even if you don't quite realise it yet). You're definitely destined for big things and international designer fame. I'm sure you're own studio will happen soon and then before you know it you'll have stores and books and major exhibitions. It's really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exciting this must be for you! good luck and you're absolutely right it is just one.foot.in.front.of.the.other
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideas, inspiration and feet firmly planted on the ground - a perfect combination!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen, just found your blog this past week and adore it! So do all my friends.. keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete